• Location

    Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia

  • Admission Fee

    Free

  • Exploration Time

    20 – 30 minutes

Brief Introduction

Located at Christian cemetery in George Town.The Old Protestant Cemetery, also known as Northam Road Cemetery, Penang,Malaysia. After more than a century of neglect, it is now listed as a Class 1 Heritage Site and is maintained by the Penang Heritage Trust.The cemetery lies in a grove of frangipani trees along Northam Road (now Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah) near the historic core of George Town, only metres away from the beachfront and a short walk from the Eastern & Oriental Hotel.

History

Northam Road Cemetery was the first cemetery to be consecrated after Captain Francis Light founded the Prince of Wales Island Settlement in 1786. The first recorded burial was of Lt. William Murray of the Bengal Artillery in 1787; the grave marker is no longer extant. The earliest surviving grave marker is that of one H.D.D. Cunningham from 1789 (the exact location of his/her grave within the grounds is unknown, though the plaque survives on a wall of the cemetery). The last person to be buried at the cemetery was Cornelia Josephine Van Someren in 1892. After that, the cemetery was closed and subsequent Christian burials have been carried out in the Western Road Cemetery.

Restoration

Despite its extremely rich historical value (George Town’s founder Francis Light, among other notables, is buried there), the cemetery is seldom mentioned in tourist brochures and is consequently less often visited than other sites in Penang. The relative lack of attention, as well as the area’s somewhat obscure location, contributed to its dilapidated appearance. Restoration works were completed by the end of 2012.

Sometimes there has a event of “Francis Light Cemetery Tour”. For more information, Check Here

Comments

© Copyright - Yoponi Penang Travel